Nachmu started this project several years ago, in fact, before much chaos descended upon my gentle home. In short, Nachmu and Mrs. Nachmu began to occupy one of the downstairs bedroom at Nachmu HQ, making it into the Master Bedroom, and I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade all the trim. Well into the project, unfortunately, Mrs. Nachmu thought that it would be a good idea to turn the Master Bedroom into the Office. And so she did.
We moved into another bedroom.
Mrs. Nachmu then decided to move Nachmu the Younger into the Office. And so she did.
We moved back upstairs, moved Nachmu the Elder into the other downstairs bedroom, and turned the dining room into the Office. Thus it has been for many moons, now, so I feel safe resuming the project, even though it be for the benefit of Nachmu the Younger instead of for me and the Mrs.
Here they are, laid out. Allow me to describe the process:
- Plane the boards well, as flat and true as possible.
- Wash them with lacquer. The lacquer should be cut with lacquer thinner, about a 1:1 proportion.
- Apply a dark stain.
- Plane the boards so that the stain comes off the grain, but remains in the pores.
The idea is that the stain will seep into the pores, but the lacquer will prevent the stain from seeping to deeply into the grain. Thus when you plane the top layer, the grain and the pores stand in sharp contrast.
I’ll post more pictures as the project comes to its completion.